Monday, July 20, 2009

vacation, day 10

Lets start at the end. The last day of our fabulous vacation. (FYI, this is probably TMI for some readers and pretty unpleasant).

After sleeping in, popping by the (quite nice) hotel gym to lift, and watching some HGTV (mmm) we walked over to the Public Market for lunch. I got a chicken sandwich. It came with mayo. I put some on. Now, let's note, I rarely eat mayo, and when I do, it is usually horseradish mayo.

Fast forward 90 minutes. Rumble in the tummy. Odd. I can't even tell you the last time I had an upset stomach so I didn't know what to make of this. I'll spare you the details of the ensuring bathroom trips, but it was getting worse and worse. I spent most of our Underground tour keeping an eye on the exits in case I needed to make a run for it. By 5 pm, I just didn't want to move anymore so we headed to the bus to the airport for our 10:30 pm flight.

Within 2 minutes after deboarding the bus, I was getting acquainted with the trash can. Have you ever looked inside a public trashcan on the sidewalk at the airport? Gross. Really gross. A lovely Port of Seattle Police officer asked if I needed the fire company (I assume he meant ambulance by that) but my claim of food poisoning was enough to send him on his way (by this point, I have decided it was the mayo that caused this).

So inside we go...I got some Pepto from the little stand and was thinking about dinner since I was feeling a little better (seeing as all I'd eaten all day was the chicken sandwich, some fries, and a bite of chocolate). 7:30 ish, I got acquainted with the airport bathroom. A passerby knocked on the stall to check on me, which was sort of nice. Then it occurred to me I needed to stay on the DL so no one quarantined me for Swine Flu (I have no idea if this was a realistic fear, but at the time it seemed reasonable).

That should be it right? There can't be anything left in my stomach. Right? Since I never got to dinner? Ok. Over the next hour and a half, I had a tortilla to help settle my stomach and ease the cramping...and 9:30ish, I got to run down the hall (since the closer one had a line) to visit the porcelain god again. Shoot me. At this point, tortilla aside, its just dry heaving, so I decided to just stop trying to eat anything despite my headache from not eating for over 9 hours. Ignoring my thirst, I tried to sleep through the flight (no bueno).

By the time we landed in Philly, got home, napped for 4 hours, and made it to the grocery store, I was completely lightheaded from the lack of nutrients. Not to make light of eating disorders, but I don't know how bulimics do it. A bowl of pineapple, a slice of bread, some jelly beans, and a bit of cereal later, I finally feel functional. (Though am still parked on the couch since my back is so sore, I surmise from fighting my stomach convulsions for 10 hours, tons of slouching while felt crummy, and "sleeping" awkwardly on the plane).


More cheery vacation updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment